Last Friday I had the pleasure of going to Universal Studio's Theme Park (thanks Jun!) with some great peeps. It was a fun filled day by all. As we were standing in line to get some 'Paleo' friendly lunch a gentlemen behind us spotted us as CrossFitters.
He heard us mention the word Paleo and then he looked down at my lime green Inov-8's.
It got me thinking that. If you are a CrossFitter you can spot another CrossFitter a mile away. And the longer you are in CF the easier it is to spot them. I found a fun blog post from Fletcher Fitness about A 20 Step Story of a Typical CrossFitter.
Below is the steps in BOLD and my personal answers. Post YOUR answers to the comments. Lets light up the comments today!
1. Hear about CrossFit through someone that is annoying and obsessed. I heard about crossfit.com from my brother (Mark an athlete now at CF Costa Mesa). It was July 2007 and one of his firefighter buddies was doing it. It looked to me like High School football offseason lifting so I was immediately interested.
2. Attend a Free class…and one of two things happen – you love it & you are hooked already (skip to #6) OR… Did my baseline with Andy Petranek in August something 2007. And yes, was immediately hooked!
3. Still very skeptical, go back to the couch or your regular way of training… but…whether you like it or not, can’t stop thinking about & hearing about CrossFit and all those fit, amazing, fun people.
4. Come back again, start asking more questions & poking around at the equipment.
5. Check out some links online, one thing leads to another & hrs pass by. I remember this step all too well:-) I still am on the web everyday.
6. Join a box. Joined CFLA March of 2009.
7. Start carving out 3ish hrs a week to do a bunch of crazy functional stuff that hurts a lot but feels so good. Such a fun step. It is like the honeymoon phase in the CF and You relationship.
8. Friend other CrossFitters on facebook. This happens fast!
9. Rip your hands open, a little shocked and in a bit of pain…you’re smiling on the inside. It feels cool. I have ripped my hands 12 times in almost 5 years. Most in the first 2 years. Now not so much.
10. Start using the lingo… “WOD” “Rx’d”, “AMRAP” “Snatch” & “Fran”. I love talking in code.
11. Attend some CrossFit oriented events and begin actually looking forward to working out on the weekends. This is one of the best parts of CF I love.
12. Lift a barbell that weighs more than you off the ground. Such a cool feeling!
13. Continue to drink too much & overload on carbs bc now that you train so hard, you deserve to celebrate with a few beers and a pizza. This has never really happened to me. But I don't ever feel guilty about indulging every now and then.
14. Buy some t-shirts that have catchy slogans on them and special shoes. This happens fast. Talk to me when you have more CF shirts then regular shirts. My first CF shoes were Vibrams May 2009. My first pair of O-Lift Shoes June 2010.
15. Date someone from the box. Stalk games athletes online. I wouldn't recommend the date part. Ever heard the term, "Don't bring sand to the beach"? Stalking games athletes is cool tho:-)
16. Realize after 6 months or so that you are slightly stagnant and need to give this dreaded ‘Eat Clean’ stuff a try. Educate yourself & commit to trying a Paleolitic-based Diet. What are you people waiting for if you haven't hoped on this train yet??
17. See drastic improvements in your daily life, feel incredible, dominate workouts like never before and preach about eating REAL FOOD & functional movement to everyone you know. This a great step!
18. Talk about CrossFit, Think about CrossFit, Dream about CrossFit. (ahhhhh, life is good)
19. Get a CrossFit inspired tattoo…okay, probably not, but you kinda want to.
20. You bleed this lifestyle, surround yourself with likeminded people, and want everyone that you love and care about to join your CrossFit ways…. because you know, that as of now, and as far as you can see…this is the best community there is (FYI : you are now that person from Step #1)
Which step are you on?!?!
Post to comments.
KB Swing (American, 32kg/24kg)
1 Round of Cindy (5 pull ups, 10 pushups, 15 air squats) After Every Set
Post by Chris.
Not at CrossFit 818!
What's that definition of insanity by Albert Einstein? Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. If that's the case, we have all probably been a bit insane over the course of our lives when it comes to our health and fitness!
With our Southern California summer just around the corner, why continue down the same, boring path when it doesn't work? Get into the best shape of your life while having a great time using the most effective program out there: CrossFit!
This April, don't be a fool when it comes to your well-being. Join our vibrant community of men and women who have taken their health into their own hands by taking their first steps towards elite fitness!
Did I say 65lbs? I meant 80lbs!!! Cheri visits CrossFit 818 and proves that strong is beautiful!
Complete for time:
Posted by Zareh.